Sunday, April 12, 2015

Review : Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi

Sunday, April 12, 2015
Title : Shatter Me
Author : Tahereh Mafi
Genre : YA dystopia
Publisher : Harper
Release Date : October 16th, 2012

GOODREADS | PURCHASE

I have a curse
I have a gift

I am a monster
I'm more than human

My touch is lethal
My touch is power

I am their weapon
I will fight back

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.
 


When I bought this book, I'm not sure whether I will like it or not, but I had a feeling I won't since dystopia genre book tends to disappoint me. So this book has been sitting in my bookshelf for around 4 months before I have the courage to read it, and I'm glad I did!

Instead of doing the usual review, I'm going to write down things I like and I didn't like from this book!

Things I Like

1. The Writing
The writing is really unique! At first, I kinda didn't like it because there's so many prose and hyperbole and it makes me didn't understand what the plot is. But when I already used to it, it's beautiful. Mafi's writing style is so different (in a good way, of course) from any other young adult book I've read, and I admire her courage for writing like that (not many author would want to write in a unusual way). Also, another point in uniqueness for the strikethrough thing!

2. The Plot
    For around the first 4 chapter, I didn't understand what it is about. But that made me more curious about this book. The plot is actually isn't really original. It's kind of like X-Men--some people who has some amazing power, but, again, the writing style made it looks original. But beside the whole a-little-unoriginal thing, the plot is pretty interesting and exciting.

3. The Characters
    For the very first time (I think), I absolutely hate no one in a book, even the villain! Sure, it's a bit hard to like Juliette at first because she hates and afraid of herself, but I think I will too if I had a power like that and everyone hates you for years. I just hope that in the second book, her character will be developed. Beside her, there's Adam--Juliette's supposed to be love interest. He is kind and gentle and nice and always protect her. In other word, he's the perfect boyfriend for her. I ship them, yes, but I also ship Juliette with the other man, Warner. Warner is the supposed to be villain. He is intelligent and hot, but also cruel, ruthless, and arrogant. But the way he 'looks' (looks, as in 'looks' in her personality, not 'looks' in love) at her made me ship them. Warner looks at her like she is an equal with him, not like a little girl who needs to be protected. That's why I think they will be perfect together, not to mention they had a similar past (it won't be explained in this book, but in Destroy Me).
Things I Didn't Like

Almost none! But the last few chapters is pretty boring for me, not sure why, though. Maybe because it's basically just like Charles Xavier explain about his school?

Anyway, Shatter Me is a surprisingly good read for me. For you who still haven't read it, you have to! You won't be disappointed.



10 comments:

  1. Great review! This is the only book where I love the villian more than the love interest. Can you even believe that. Haha!

    Check out my review here...
    Live, Love and Lou - Book Review: Shatter Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too! I rarely like a villain, or when I like them I still prefer the love interest, but not this one.
      I'll check out your review! :)

      Delete
  2. I didn't think this series would be very good, but I've heard amazing things about it! You may have convinced me to give it a go :)
    Beth x
    www.thequietpeople.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even bother to read people's reviews when I bought this one, so I had no idea what it is about. But I read tons of review after that and those people convinced me! Glad I could convince you :D

      Delete
  3. I've heard a lot of good things about this book, but I still haven't read it. I have to move it up my list. I'll keep in mind that it picks up after the first few chapters. I'm terrible to put down a book if isn't grabbing me!

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the first few chapters are pretty confusing for me, but it didn't made me want to put it down, instead it made me more curious! So I think you won't put down this book, too :)

      Delete
  4. The strikethrough thing was not very great for me, too! I almost put the book down after three pages because it got annoying, but I'm glad I didn't!

    And you like Warner better? Oh, haha. Oh, HAHAHAHA. Now I'm going to shut up before I spoil anything.

    Great review, btw. :)
    Ranu @ The Bookish Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Warner is definitely on my book bf list now, and I already know who she ends up with (it made me happy!), actually, because I read an Ignite Me review and that person spoil it (I love spoilers, actually) (I'm weird, right?)

      Anyway, thanks :D

      Delete
  5. Oooh, great review! I am so glad you liked this one. I enjoyed it, but I think the series got better and better with each book. Ignite Me is one of my all time favorites! Hope you love the rest of the series :)
    Shannon @ It Starts At Midnight

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm already halfway through Unravel Me, and it's better! I think I'll love this series :)

      Delete

The Bookish Thought © 2014