Thursday, December 14, 2017

Review : Love & Gelato by Jenna Evan Welch

Thursday, December 14, 2017
Title : Love & Gelato
Author : Jenna Evan Welch
Genre : YA contemporary
Release Date : May 3rd, 2016
Publisher : Simon Pulse

GOODREADS | PURCHASE

“I made the wrong choice.”

Lina is spending the summer in Tuscany, but she isn’t in the mood for Italy’s famous sunshine and fairy-tale landscape. She’s only there because it was her mother’s dying wish that she get to know her father. But what kind of father isn’t around for sixteen years? All Lina wants to do is get back home.

But then she is given a journal that her mom had kept when she lived in Italy. Suddenly Lina’s uncovering a magical world of secret romances, art, and hidden bakeries. A world that inspires Lina, along with the ever-so-charming Ren, to follow in her mother’s footsteps and unearth a secret that has been kept for far too long. It’s a secret that will change everything she knew about her mother, her father—and even herself.

People come to Italy for love and gelato, someone tells her, but sometimes they discover much more.

When I see that Love & Gelato is a free read on Riveted Lit, I immediately start reading it. This was such a cute and light read that I quickly finished in less than a day.

What I Like from Love & Gelato :

+THOSE DESCRIPTIONS OF ITALY. When I read this book, I suddenly have the urge to hop to the nearest plane heading to Italy. Seriously, it was that good. Eventhough I've never been to Italy before, I recognize some of the tourist attractions. I feel like I'm there, walking through the streets, seeing all those places.
+The (kinda) mystery. So basically, Lina is sent to Italy to live with her father. When she got there, she got a journal sent by her mother when she was still alive. The journal is basically about the time when Lina's mom live in Italy, but turns out there's some surprise and secrets too. I pretty much guess what the mystery is early in the beginning, but it's still nice to read when I'm right :D
+The family relationships. Lina's mom died months before the book even started, but we still get to see her through the journal. It was an odd mother/daughter's relationship, I admit, but it's still great. And Lina and Howard's (the father) is awesome too. He's really nice and understanding toward her. It's been ages since I last read books with good family relationship, so it's a nice change.
+GELATO. And pizza. Need I say more?

What I didn't like from Love & Gelato :
(this contains some spoilers)

+The-love-triangles-and-insta-love-romance. That's a pretty long title so I'll explain. Basically, the love interest is Ren (obviously), but then this dude Thomas shows up out of nowhere and create an unnecessary love-triangle. It was OBVIOUS that the love interest is Ren from the beginning. I could overlook a little love-triangle, but then there's an insta love too! Don't get me wrong, I ship Ren and Lina. The chemistry is there. But they confess their love to each other after like, 5 days? That's too fast, I think, even with chemistry.
+The best-friend situation. Lina has a best-friend back in States in named Addie. They're really close-knitted and such. Throughout the book, they often talk about Lina going back to States and live with Addie's family. But in the end, Lina decide to stay in Italy. I mean, I didn't blame her for wanting to stay in there, but at least tell about how Addie accept her choice.

Overall, I still recommend it if you're looking for quick and light read!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bookish Thought © 2014